[ Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic ]
> Pump Shotgun, GAH!!!
Lord_Of_The_Pings
Posted: March 20, 2005 03:13 pm
Quote Post

Experienced Killer

Group: Members

Okay let me explain the difference between theoretical damage from a
normal(unchanged barrelled) shotgun and a sawn of double barreled shotgun.

The main factor in damage is how many pellets hit the target(assuming the pellets fired from both shotguns have the same mass and energy.
Therefor a hand cannon(double barreled sawn off shotgun) will at the optimal firing range(where the bullets spread "perfectly" i.e not too far and not too close) easily sever a human torso in half,or in the case of a shotgun blow an enemy's head clean off.
The problem with a sawn off shotgun is that it quickly loses its effectiveness at longer ranges, as the spread becomes too unpredictable and it is more unlikely to "damage" the target enough.

A normal shotgun however, will keep it's spread at longer ranges and the grouping will be tighter,as the pellets have a longer barrel and will therefor build up more momentum before exiting the barrel than for example the hand cannon.

Now both shotguns will take anything and anyones head off,or severely damage it(i.e leave it hollow like a shell), therefor I can now safely conclude that BB needs a serious shotgun overhaul and yes the pistols are too many and are too useless.
I know that BB wants to represent civilian weaponry in this game, but the pistols are all identically useless except for the S&W and the Deagle, so perhaps they should be replaced as well.
Anyway it should be a rule of thumb that a headshot from any weapon on any difficulty setting should instantly down a zombie,or if not then something equivalent to 2 pistol rounds.

Hope this helps wink.gif
PMEmail Poster
EcheloN
Posted: March 20, 2005 07:28 pm
Quote Post

Zombie Hunter

The problem with the pistols is that only one can be carried at a time anyways. Also, on average, zombies take 2 usp shots to kill, or 2 deagle shots, or even 2 magnum shots in the head.
PMEmail Poster
Elite viking
Posted: March 20, 2005 09:17 pm
Quote Post

Veteran Lord Carnage

Group: Old BB:S Betatesters

Yeah, I often kill moer things with a Beretta compared to with a S n' W. Two beretta shots kills a zombie. I barely kill a zombie with one revolver round. So often, a SW is a louder, less ammo Beretta. BEretta kills in two, but the USP kills in about 4 when I use it. this maybe has something with the angle of fire?
When you shoot a zombie from the side it takes off one of the head parts, but if you keep shooting from the side it takes at least two more shots to take the last part.
PMEmail Poster
Nikku
Posted: March 22, 2005 02:53 pm
Quote Post

Mr. Coke

QUOTE (Lord_Of_The_Pings @ Mar 20 2005, 03:13 PM)
Okay let me explain the difference between theoretical damage from a
normal(unchanged barrelled) shotgun and a sawn of double barreled shotgun.

The main factor in damage is how many pellets hit the target(assuming the pellets fired from both shotguns have the same mass and energy.
Therefor a hand cannon(double barreled sawn off shotgun) will at the optimal firing range(where the bullets spread "perfectly" i.e not too far and not too close) easily sever a human torso in half,or in the case of a shotgun blow an enemy's head clean off.
The problem with a sawn off shotgun is that it quickly loses its effectiveness at longer ranges, as the spread becomes too unpredictable and it is more unlikely to "damage" the target enough.

A normal shotgun however, will keep it's spread at longer ranges and the grouping will be tighter,as the pellets have a longer barrel and will therefor build up more momentum before exiting the barrel than for example the hand cannon.

Now both shotguns will take anything and anyones head off,or severely damage it(i.e leave it hollow like a shell), therefor I can now safely conclude that BB needs a serious shotgun overhaul and yes the pistols are too many and are too useless.
I know that BB wants to represent civilian weaponry in this game, but the pistols are all identically useless except for the S&W and the Deagle, so perhaps they should be replaced as well.
Anyway it should be a rule of thumb that a headshot from any weapon on any difficulty setting should instantly down a zombie,or if not then something equivalent to 2 pistol rounds.

Hope this helps wink.gif

will you marry me?

--------------------
Only when you gick, will you truly fish...
PMEmail Poster
Blue Summer
Posted: March 22, 2005 10:52 pm
Quote Post

Firefox

It's funny because i havn't seen this post posted 12 times before...

--------------------
This is what Ive said for the past couple months every time has requested source: BB source is highly unlikely because the mod team (Ironoak) has decided to use the crystal engine to create an rpg, although they have said there is a small chance of going to source but please, for the sake of all mankind, do not request a port and/or create polls, or even useless threads about the porting of BB, because it is most likely not going to happen, thank you for reading.

WSAENOTSOCK
PMEmail Poster
TrunksX
Posted: March 23, 2005 02:19 am
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

How about me saying that this is not a real post and your just imagining it how about that.

--------------------
user posted image Dont mess with me!! user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Lord_Of_The_Pings
Posted: March 24, 2005 01:16 am
Quote Post

Experienced Killer

QUOTE (Nikku @ Mar 22 2005, 02:53 PM)
will you marry me?

Maybe wink.gif
PMEmail Poster
Necro99
Posted: March 25, 2005 08:19 pm
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

I agree the M3 is a POS. If you want a civillian weapon, just replace it by a Mossberg, Ithaca or Remington. They are MUCH more common.

If it was my choice, there would be Five handguns, all easy to find normally.
Ruger P85 9mm,
Colt M1911A1 .45ACP
S&W Combat Masterpiece Model 15 .38 Special
Intratec AB-10 9mm
S&W Model 29 .44 Magnum (The one we have)

They would all be very different, and everyone would find one that suits himself.
BTW, drop that useless Akimbo mall-ninja BS. No serious shooter shoots akimbo, even less if his life is in danger.

This post has been edited by Necro99 on March 25, 2005 08:23 pm

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Nikku
Posted: March 25, 2005 10:17 pm
Quote Post

Mr. Coke

Mossberg? Were do u live?

Benelli

--------------------
Only when you gick, will you truly fish...
PMEmail Poster
EcheloN
Posted: March 26, 2005 01:04 am
Quote Post

Zombie Hunter

A realistic and balanced weapons set for this game would be:

Pistols:

Colt 1911. Standard US Army weapon for 70 years and now collected by many people. Favored for the .45ACP's tremendous stopping power. 8-round clip.

Beretta M92F. Widely issued to police/military units as a side-arm, also favored by weapons enthusiasts. Fast, smooth, and accurate. 9x19mm bullets. 15-round clip.

SMG's:

Ingram M-11. Quite common amongst gang members and as a personal defense weapon. Has a 32-round clip and uses .380ACP bullets.

Rifles:

AK-47. Undoubtedly the most common assault rifle in the world. Used by military, paramilitary, and terrorist units througout non-Western Bloc countries, and used in the USA by gangs and criminals, as well as weapons enthusiasts. Favored for its awesome power and supreme reliability rather than its accuracy. Carries 30 rounds of 7.62x39mm bullets. Its heavy wood and steel construction makes it a devestating melee weapon as well.

M-16. The primary weapon of the USA and its non-European allies. Although its high-velocity 5.56x45mm round lacks the brute force of the AK-47, it has far superior accuracy. Many old M-16 models are used by civilians throughout the USA. 30 round clip. Beacuse weight was the primary design concern, its plastic stock cannot be used effectively as a weapon.

Winchester M1895. Developed as a hunting rifle and used widely in the USA and later exported to Russia. This is one of the only lever-action rifles to use large ammunition (5 round clip of 7.62x54 rimmed cartridges).

Shotguns:

Remington 870. Arguably the best pump-action shotgun in the world. Carries 7 12-gauge shells. Widely used by police and civilians.

Sawed-off shotgun. The epitome of simplicity. Basically a generic double-barreled shotgun with the long barrel sawed-off. Aim and fire.

Jackhammer. Hailed as the ultimate combat shotgun during its conception in the 1980s, it fell victim to seemingly insurmountable design flaws, foremost among them was its use of the 14-gauge shell, which gave it uncontrollable recoil when fired on full-automatic. Only two prototypes were completed. [Here the fiction begins]: In 1993, George Grant, head of the small Grant Firearms Corporation of Heaven's Gate, USA, bought the patent for the Jackhammer Mk3A1 and successfully modified the Jackhammer to use the more sensibly-sized 10-gauge slug shell in a 12-round drum magazine. It proved extremely popular with the Heaven's Gate Police Force when armed with foam-rubber bullets for riot control. At least, it did, until a young protester during a series of riots over the controversial Nuclear Research Facility, during a struggle with a riot policeman, bumped the policeman's shoulder and sent a foam-rubber slug straight into another protester's head, where it completely demolished his skull, killing him instantly. Since then, the Jackhammers have been loaded with convential 10-gauge hollowpoint slugs and locked up in the HGPD armories, and are only to be used by SWAT officers where deadly force is utterly necessary. They had not been used, except for the well-known 2004 incident when a terrorist cell attempted to sabotage the Nuclear Research Facility. Thanks to the elite SEAL Team Six, although there was confirmed radiation leakage into the countryside and surrounding farmland, a disastrous explosion was averted, and a country held hostage was saved. The long-term effects of the radiation leakage are unknown.

[The flamethrower and gastank can be kept as is, I suppose, but the Minigun needs some more recoil and heavier weight]

This post has been edited by EcheloN on March 26, 2005 01:09 am
PMEmail Poster
Necro99
Posted: March 26, 2005 05:18 pm
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

QUOTE (Nikku @ Mar 25 2005, 10:17 PM)
Mossberg? Were do u live?

Benelli

Canada. Mossbergs are very common everywhere. Why?

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
CoolDude
Posted: April 15, 2005 02:09 pm
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

Yeah, I agree. The pump shotgun really sucks. Takes too many shots to kill a zombie. I think they should replace it. The pump shotgun pretty much works as good as the handguns, so what's the point?

--------------------

"If You Mess With The Best, You Die Like The Rest"

~~~ So don't mess with me. ~~~
..~~......................................~~
...~........................................~

"Yeah.... you're cool."
___.....__..... __......|...........|----\....|....|....|----\....|----
/.........|..|.....|..|.....|...........|...../....|....|....|...../....|----
\__.....----.....----.....-----......|---/.....-----....|---/.....|----
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
blade_hunter90
Posted: April 18, 2005 04:57 am
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

no,not replace the shotgun but just fix it,i would love to have a nice working shotgun,why people just says to remove a gun when they dont like it,maybe some other do like it ,no ?
PMEmail Poster
EcheloN
Posted: April 21, 2005 05:32 am
Quote Post

Zombie Hunter

These seem to the the 3 solutions the the pump shotgun dillema:

1. (more likely) - add more, tighter, and stronger pellets to the existing shotgun.

2. (less likely) - keep the damage and accuracy as-is and replace the m3 with a USAS-12 or SPAS-15, or even a Saiga 12K, something automatic with a clip. The 10-gauge shell would explain why it is weaker than the sawed-off (which we will assume uses 12-gauge)

3. (least likely, but coolest) - replace with a Jackhammer. Larger 14-gauge shells would pack an incredible punch. Perhaps holding the alternate-fire button as you reload would reload a slug round that would totally disintegrate a zombie by exploding its head/neck, or demolishing the spine. Just say that a local firearms company bought the patent back in the 80's and there are warehouses and factories full of them in Heaven's Gate. >:D
PMEmail Poster
_CiviliaN^SoldieR_
Posted: April 22, 2005 09:28 am
Quote Post

civilized d00d

Group: Moderators

The shotgun, is strong but slightly weaker, because it's quicker to fire and holds more bullets than the sawn off.

Closed!

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
Pages: 12
Topic Options Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll