> A.I. Upgrades, Not really a Bug
MtG
Posted: December 01, 2004 11:21 pm
Quote Post

Real zombie Nemesis
Group Icon

Group: BB Betatesters

-Short and Accurate-

Basically, the A.I. on some of the Zombies, and mostly the marines is very basic ... and some just stand around and let you kill them

-Detailed with Info and Fixes-

The A.I. on BrainBread... I've noticed has gotten better on the newer servers (Is that even possible)... but there are still a spots where the zombies just stand still...

Near the marine spawn in Heaven's Gate, pretty much by the slope going up into the building with no opening door... also when going into the tunnle just off from the marine's spawn in heaven's gate, there's a zombie by the green at the corner of the building, clearly visible (you know the one) who does nothing. Also zombies fail to do anything by the respawns where there are marines... if possible zombies should probably walk toward the marine's base, so the marines will have a pleasant surprise while walking to bigger zombie respawns... and that way the players couldn't just camp and get there score off the first part of heaven's gate... or they could... it's just that the zombies would overwhelm them... also at the marine's spawn... if you respawn and take a left, instead of going on the road (also talking about heaven's gate) some of the zombies by the church area and the latter, don't move at all, even when you get close... they might start to attack only if you fire at another zombie than them... basically a free kill.

-Marine A.I.-

The problem with the marine A.I.... is that if there are a horde of zombies... they don't do the logical thing and attack the closet one to them, even if it's you... they'll sit there killing zombies, and lets you sneak up behind them, and slaughter them, even though the zombie attacks do no damage, and are freakin slow... so it might take 10 seconds to kill a marine with no skill points in "Skill"... so yeh. The only time the marine's fire at you is if you're with the zombie horde charging up with them, or you're the only zombie in the area. But if you attack the marines while the zombie hordes are charging... they do nothing but shoot at the zombies.

This could be fixed by just making the marines attack the nearest enemy, even if it is freakishly close to them... but doing so would make it impossible for a zombie to kill that many marine a.i. units without taking sever damage... which is why player zombie damage should be very high compared to marines.

Think about it. A zombie has to get like... 2 feet to do any damage... and the damage they do is VERY meager, not even doing 1/100 of the damage over 10 seconds that a marine could do with the weapons at their base.

So zombie damage needs to be much higher.

--------------------
Ich werde dich toeten.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Nekrotzar
Posted: December 02, 2004 12:49 am
Quote Post

Zombie Hunter

Group: Members

Zombies not moving can be caused by 2 things:
1.) The server can't process all the AI commands fast enough, which results in rather long reaction times.
2.) There seems to be a problem with zombie pathfinding on zombie spawns that are placed on certain slopes. For example the zombie right of the bridge on the small sand beach never moves.

Would be nice if the AI could be tricked into zombies jumping ledges, would solve a lot of problems, I think.

The marines target the closest enemy in their line of sight, which is why they don't attack zombies coming from the rear. They will attack the target until it is destroyed, then they'll look for another target. This is probably the best sollution because it doesn't need constant AI checks by the server.

Also consider that marine numbers are much smaller than zombie ones and they spawn much less frequent, so the higher marine damage is some sort of balance. Player zombies can simply kill them in one blow to the head, though.
PMEmail Poster
MtG
Posted: December 02, 2004 03:34 am
Quote Post

Real zombie Nemesis
Group Icon

Group: BB Betatesters

Yeh.
That is true. The ledges would be cool... need more animations... but it would generally fix everything. The problem is Brain Bread is so good... it's reached Half-Life's Limits...

Truely a good mod.

--------------------
Ich werde dich toeten.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll