Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
[ Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic ]
> Virus?, a formal complaint
w@velength
Posted: February 04, 2005 10:10 pm
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

Group: Members

A while back, I visited your site and tried to download brainbread 1.2... I don't remember which mirror I used, but rather than sending me to the typical 90-mb download, a 292k file somehow ended up in my download folder (i don't recall downloading it, which is strange).

Being the genius that I am, and wanting to see if it was a broken file, I double clicked on the icon (brainbread-v1.2.exe) and all that happened was a DOS window popped up with an underscore (_) dancing around the screen. An alarm went off in my head (VIRUS!!) and I quickly closed the window.

But when I tried to delete the file, my computer tells me that it cannot be deleted because it is currently being used by another program. Damnit.

I have no idea how to get rid of it, and its presence is infuriating. I have AVG Anti-virus installed but it doesn't seem to detect the file as a threat, but I'm smarter than the computer and know that it is indeed malignant.

Has anyone else discovered this dirty little secret? Just thought I'd let you all know.

--------------------
Did you mean Avril Latrine
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahoo
Zpin
Posted: February 04, 2005 10:44 pm
Quote Post

Einherjar
Group Icon

Group: IronOak Leader (Admin)

uh, very bad... I need to know which mirror you used

--------------------
The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all. - Ecclesiastes IX. 11.
---
The fool speaks, the wise man listens. - unknown
PMUsers Website
GaMeRT1
Posted: February 04, 2005 10:57 pm
Quote Post

Real zombie Nemesis

This had been reported before lol it was just you need to redl it and install again its because the explorer is still using it

--------------------
Zombie connoisseur, BrainBread enthusiast, slayer of the undead.

User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
|2enegade
Posted: February 05, 2005 06:44 am
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

yea, and if that doesn't work, restart your comp in ms-dos mode and delete it using the "del" command.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Hobo Ninja
Posted: February 05, 2005 06:35 pm
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

QUOTE (|2enegade @ Feb 4 2005, 11:44 PM)
yea, and if that doesn't work, restart your comp in ms-dos mode and delete it using the "del" command.

What if hes running Windows ME, Windows 2000, or Windows XP....they don't even have DOS they arnt based on it....they have that cmd which is supposed to emulate it but its crap and doesnt work right....

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail PosterICQAOLYahoo
Immoral Sniper
Posted: February 05, 2005 07:24 pm
Quote Post

The force is strong in me
Group Icon

Group: BB Betatesters

QUOTE (Hobo Ninja @ Feb 5 2005, 12:35 PM)
QUOTE (|2enegade @ Feb 4 2005, 11:44 PM)

What if hes running Windows ME, Windows 2000, or Windows XP....they don't even have DOS they arnt based on it....they have that cmd which is supposed to emulate it but its crap and doesnt work right....

Boot into safe mode with DOS prompt is an option you can choose when booting into safe mode, though it might say command prompt instead of DOS prompt.

I'd also like to add it does a good job of emulating DOS as far as I have used it.

--------------------
BB Maps I've made...
bb_stronghold {Beta 9}
bb_shootingrange {Beta 1}

Threads you should read before posting...
Immoral's List of Things Not to Suggest
Immoral's Mapping Guide

Forum Spammers
Name (Number of spamming citations issued)

Nikku (3), -KRUX- (2), Mitchell (2), hunter (2), Gneralas (2), CHAY (2), vyvu (2), Rustie1821 (1), w00t (1), dagny (1), Nandu666 (1), The.Raver(1), moecomputer (1), -=Jouni=- (1), santa_kills (1), DarknessGlams (1)
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
-KRUX-
Posted: February 13, 2005 10:46 pm
Quote Post

Zombie Hunter

this is a very wierd bug... :S

--------------------
user posted image

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
When nagotiating with zombies you let the
gun do the talking.
PMEmail Poster
Nandu666
Posted: February 19, 2005 01:35 am
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

I have the same problem. i've tried twice now. i thought maybe the first time i just hadn't DL'ed the whole thing, but the same thing happend again... when its done there is no icon with it. run it and it opens a command prompt for half a second, then the file is in use so you can't delete it. last time after a few days and a few restarts it just let me delete the file. it was still in use in safe mode so going there i can't delete it. and now i, like a dumbass, decided to try this game again. so now here i am with a 90 meg pile of shit on my hard drive.
PMEmail Poster
_CiviliaN^SoldieR_
Posted: February 19, 2005 02:28 am
Quote Post

civilized d00d

Group: Moderators

QUOTE (Me @ Feb 19 2005, 12:35 AM)
Download Killbox from here: http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.zip

Reboot in Safe Mode

This will take a little bit to do so keep track and dont miss any files.

Open Killbox, click the option Replace on Reboot & click the box Use Dummy

You'll see the path to the filename appear in the bottom box.

Click the red X, Say yes to the message box that comes up, then say No to the next box asking you to reboot.

This is important, coz if you reboot before you are finished entering all the files, you will have to start over again.

Do the same for this entire ammount of viruses.

Killbox will kill the virus even though it's running.

This link may be best, straight from the ironoak site

This post has been edited by _CiviliaN^SoldieR_ on March 12, 2005 07:17 pm

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
Robbie
Posted: February 20, 2005 08:47 pm
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

Yes, I downloaded it from IronOak the first link and it opened in dos mode then it was an error "Close or Ignore" I get the same error. So I asked my friend he said gamershell so Im going to try that.
PMEmail Poster
mrchace
Posted: March 12, 2005 07:14 pm
Quote Post

Co-Lead Elite Betatester

Group: Moderators

QUOTE (Robbie @ Feb 20 2005, 08:47 PM)
Yes, I downloaded it from IronOak the first link and it opened in dos mode then it was an error "Close or Ignore" I get the same error. So I asked my friend he said gamershell so Im going to try that.

Ya same here i downloaded it from the ironoak link #2
after that didnt work i tried filefront or something of the name and it worked.....

--------------------

There are a few reasons I don't visit the forums as often as I used to, they are as follows:

1) I really don't have a lot of time.

2) My hardrive is failing

3) The forums honestly frustrate me to a point I cannot stand it, I've tried to help, I've tried to set people straight, but apparently, the health of these forums only matters to a few people. Thats just sad, most of us have grown along with these forums and along BB and frankly its disgusting to see the way you guys act sometimes...

until you pull your acts together, don't expect to see me around much.

WHERE IS MY DELETE POST FUNCTION!?
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahoo
|2enegade
Posted: March 13, 2005 12:40 am
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

guys, chillax. It's not a virus. It's just a corrupt .exe that crashes and leaves itself running, so you can't delete it. Like I said, just start up in dos mode and delete it. And btw, ALL windows OS' are dos based. Don't use alt -> run -> cmd or dosprmpt, those are no good since the OS is running in the background still. You MUST restart, and after your computer has POSTed, continually hit F8 until it brings up a start-up menu. Select command prompt. Now you are in DOS with no windows loaded. Navigate to to file and delete it (i.e. del/erase c:\mydocu~1\downloa~1\brainbreadupdate.exe)

p.s. depending on your system, bringing up the post-POST startup menu may be any of F2, F3, F4, F5, F8, F9, or F10. I F8 doesn't work try the others.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
bluetequila
Posted: March 21, 2005 04:17 am
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

well, I have a problem.. I downloaded it from ironoak mirror #2, and instead of saving, I ran it.. so now the corrupt .exe is running, yet I have no file to delete.. how is this even possible?
PMEmail Poster
Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll