Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
[ Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic ]
> Can't pick up new weapons, inventory/respawn issue, inaccuracies
helbent4
Posted: June 25, 2005 05:36 am
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

Group: Members

There seems to be a problem that when you pick up a weapon from a weapon spawn point or off the ground (dropped there by someone else) and then drop it afterwards, you can't pick up a new weapon of the same type from a spawn point. It's like there is a "memory" of the weapon in your inventory, blocking you from picking up more of that type.

Example#1: on the map "Heaven's Gate Chapter 1", go to the green weapons spawn table on the left side, behind the marine at the player spawn point. Pick up an M16, then drop it. A new M16 will immediately spawns where you picked up the last one. But you can't pick up the new one from the spawn point. You can, however, still pick up the old one you dropped (or indeed, one that someone else has dropped). If someone picks your old weapon, then you cannot replace it from a weapon spawn point. It makes no difference how many weapons you have or have had in inventory, each different one you pick up is stored in memory.

Example #2: on the "Slaywatch" map I know people will throw a gas tank and then make sure they die in the explosion, so they will automatically respawn and so be able to get a new one right away. I've also heard others complaining about this issue in regards to different weapons, so I know it's not just me.

This inventory memory resets when you die.

To summarise: once you pick up a given weapon, and then (say) drop it to re-equip with a better weapon, this memory prevents you from switching back to the one you dropped, unless you go back exactly to where you dropped your old weapon and pick it up, pick up one that someone else dropped, or die.

Hope this is not too long or detailed.

Tony S.
PMEmail Poster
jimmy
Posted: June 25, 2005 11:31 am
Quote Post

Real zombie Nemesis

this i think, is part of the game so the maps arnt overloaded by wepons people have picked up an dropped over and over again!!!

--------------------
User Posted Image
"and from that day forth, anytime a bunch of animals are found together in one place it's called a ZOO!... Unless its a farm!..."
PMEmail Poster
Keyes
Posted: June 25, 2005 09:53 pm
Quote Post

I'm On A Boat

Group: Moderators

The devs put that in on purpose, so that people didn't camp at the spawn and keep switching their weapons.
...I think. biggrin.gif

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
helbent4
Posted: June 28, 2005 11:28 am
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

Yeah, I thought of that. Itmmakes sense for "unique" weapons like the flamethrower, minigun, etc. However, it becomes annoying when you get to the point where you are not dying, especially on a map with linear conditions where you really don't want to go back to spawn just to trade for an M16. Especially when you'd think there might be more elegent solutions.

Adding a 30-second or 1-minute timer would prevent someone from sitting on the spawn point and spitting out copies of weapons, but still leave the flexibility to change weapons later. To force people to use ammo boxes (and not just pick up a new weapon with full ammo off a spawn point when low) then make any new weapon you pick up have as much ammo in it as the old one (if it remembers how much is in the magazine when you pick up a dropped weapon, this should be possible).

Tony
PMEmail Poster
Metallica
  Posted: July 05, 2005 03:24 pm
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

That a big, bad bug. And whatīs up when you havenīt got bullets? If you canīt get ammo, and you just dropped another weapon, you are DEAD!!!

--------------------
Sometimes I wanna kill
Sometimes I wanna die
Sometimes I wanna destroy
Sometimes I wanna cry
Sometimes I could get even
Sometimes I could give up
Sometimes I could give
Sometimes I never give a fuck
(Guns īn Roses)
PMEmail Poster
jimmy
Posted: July 08, 2005 07:34 am
Quote Post

Real zombie Nemesis

thats why theres a box of unlimited ammo for u to restock on

--------------------
User Posted Image
"and from that day forth, anytime a bunch of animals are found together in one place it's called a ZOO!... Unless its a farm!..."
PMEmail Poster
Zpin
Posted: July 08, 2005 09:59 am
Quote Post

Einherjar
Group Icon

Group: IronOak Leader (Admin)

Yes, that's intentional. You can still pick up the same type of weapon from another spawn spot but you can use each spaw spot only once per life.
/E: The reason: No unlimited supply of weapons (in earlier versions there weren't even ammo boxes). And second, the HL engine. We've always had problems with too many models and it just crashed with a "no free edicts" error so we had to do everything to reduce the number of total models.

This post has been edited by Spin on July 08, 2005 10:03 am

--------------------
The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all. - Ecclesiastes IX. 11.
---
The fool speaks, the wise man listens. - unknown
PMUsers Website
Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll