Powered by Invision Power Board [ Resend Validation Email ]
Welcome Guest [ Log In · Register ]
Forum Rules HelpSearchMembersCalendar

Pages: 12  [ Go to first unread post ]
Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll
[ Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic ]
> [WIP] Zombie Immersion Pack, Attempting to make each zombie unique...
Rifter
Posted: May 12, 2005 02:08 am
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

Group: Members

Alright, I'm not 100% certain as to how the zombie AI works, however I'm fairly sure that their movement is based off of the animations and not necessarily the code. Hoping that this works, I'm trying to make each zombie somewhat unique through their animations. These will obviously only work correctly if the server is using the models, not the clients. Clients will want to have them because a) I'll try to make them look cool cool.gif correct hitboxes, if the server has these models and the client does not, they won't neccessarily be able to hit the zombies.

I'm also making these to up the difficulty of the game a bit. Right now with Brain Bread, all the zombies are essentially the same height so its very possible to hose down a group of them generally aiming towards the head and kill around 3. The animations I provide the models will have each zombie in a somewhat unique position so it actually takes careful aim to achieve a headshot. Also, a few of the zombies will be faster (some much faster) than the normal rate of movement. At least one will have a fairly irregular movement pattern so it will be neigh impossible to score an aimed headshot easily.

Note: This is just an animation change, I'm no modeller so I'll be using the default models for this.

Anyway, onto the concepts:

Leaper:
The leaper will move along on all fours so its entire body is very close to the ground. Despite moving on all fours, leapers will be one of the faster(est) zombies in the pack. They move kind of like frogs, only quickly and rarely pausing.

Leaper Idle

Twitchin' Bitch:
The name my friends gave to the nurses from Silent Hill. Essentially stealing the idea from that. Zombies that twitch a lot while moving. They'll basically move at the same rate as the zombies now.

No preview yet.

Limper:
This guy will move fairly erratically randomly limping about. Speed will be faster than the current zombies, but not too much faster. Their speed will vary every few steps as well due to limping and lunging.

No preview yet.

Thats it for now, I'll be brainstorming different zombie ideas this week or so. I'll be working on this in tandem with the player model animations.

This post has been edited by Rifter on May 12, 2005 02:10 am
PMEmail Poster
CoolDude
Posted: May 12, 2005 02:19 pm
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

Wow, this is going to take a lot of work I imagine. This sounds like a very great idea. But anyways, I love the animation of the leaper idle. It's a very neat idea. Can't wait to see the rest of the animations. Good luck and good work. When you get all of these finished, I hope every server uses them. We really do need new zombies. It gets really boring with the zombies walking on both of their feet going at a slow pace. It gets way to easy. But with these new zombies, it will be a lot funner and a lot harder. I can't wait.

This post has been edited by CoolDude on May 12, 2005 02:23 pm

--------------------

"If You Mess With The Best, You Die Like The Rest"

~~~ So don't mess with me. ~~~
..~~......................................~~
...~........................................~

"Yeah.... you're cool."
___.....__..... __......|...........|----\....|....|....|----\....|----
/.........|..|.....|..|.....|...........|...../....|....|....|...../....|----
\__.....----.....----.....-----......|---/.....-----....|---/.....|----
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Ğ @ b ® Ī ë Ł /
Posted: May 12, 2005 04:44 pm
Quote Post

Zombie Hunter

omg. if you make those. im going to love you for ever. even your avatar.... happy.gif

but then i thought. you can only make three now cuz there are only three slots avaible. but before at 1.1 there were 5 zombie slots. so why not take that back and then you could make more. (of course i understand that its a hard work but still. there would be cooler that way. wink.gif

anyhow. keep up the great work , but chill sometimes blubbern.gif

This post has been edited by Ğ @ b ® Ī ë Ł // on May 12, 2005 04:58 pm
PM
Dragontail
Posted: May 12, 2005 05:45 pm
Quote Post

Experienced Killer

Very ambitious. I like your ideas.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
_CiviliaN^SoldieR_
Posted: May 12, 2005 05:47 pm
Quote Post

civilized d00d

Group: Moderators

Incredible!

Where did you learn to animate please.

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
Blue Summer
Posted: May 12, 2005 06:11 pm
Quote Post

Firefox

QUOTE (Rifter @ May 12 2005, 02:08 AM)
Alright, I'm not 100% certain as to how the zombie AI works, however I'm fairly sure that their movement is based off of the animations and not necessarily the code. Hoping that this works, I'm trying to make each zombie somewhat unique through their animations. These will obviously only work correctly if the server is using the models, not the clients. Clients will want to have them because a) I'll try to make them look cool cool.gif correct hitboxes, if the server has these models and the client does not, they won't neccessarily be able to hit the zombies.

I'm also making these to up the difficulty of the game a bit. Right now with Brain Bread, all the zombies are essentially the same height so its very possible to hose down a group of them generally aiming towards the head and kill around 3. The animations I provide the models will have each zombie in a somewhat unique position so it actually takes careful aim to achieve a headshot. Also, a few of the zombies will be faster (some much faster) than the normal rate of movement. At least one will have a fairly irregular movement pattern so it will be neigh impossible to score an aimed headshot easily.

Note: This is just an animation change, I'm no modeller so I'll be using the default models for this.

Anyway, onto the concepts:

Leaper:
The leaper will move along on all fours so its entire body is very close to the ground. Despite moving on all fours, leapers will be one of the faster(est) zombies in the pack. They move kind of like frogs, only quickly and rarely pausing.

Leaper Idle

Twitchin' Bitch:
The name my friends gave to the nurses from Silent Hill. Essentially stealing the idea from that. Zombies that twitch a lot while moving. They'll basically move at the same rate as the zombies now.

No preview yet.

Limper:
This guy will move fairly erratically randomly limping about. Speed will be faster than the current zombies, but not too much faster. Their speed will vary every few steps as well due to limping and lunging.

No preview yet.

Thats it for now, I'll be brainstorming different zombie ideas this week or so. I'll be working on this in tandem with the player model animations.

Would you like to join Braindead source? www.freewebs.com/darknessglams

We could use an animator with your talent.

--------------------
This is what Ive said for the past couple months every time has requested source: BB source is highly unlikely because the mod team (Ironoak) has decided to use the crystal engine to create an rpg, although they have said there is a small chance of going to source but please, for the sake of all mankind, do not request a port and/or create polls, or even useless threads about the porting of BB, because it is most likely not going to happen, thank you for reading.

WSAENOTSOCK
PMEmail Poster
Rifter
Posted: May 12, 2005 08:51 pm
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

Civ- I've essentially taught myself all I know, I've gone over a few basic tutorials (mostly the ones that ship with 3dsmax), what you've seen from me so far is pretty much a culmination of a bit over a year's worth of work.

Blue- Maybe if you remind me in a month or so, I'm currently working over at The Opera R2 and I'm sorely behind my work over there. I'd still love to help out though so just... remind me. Zombie combat is probably some of the more unique work I've done (thats why I jumped from the human animations over to the zombies mid-stream), and is maddeningly fun to toy around with.

Newish concept:

Tunneler:
You guessed it, this guy would tunnel under the ground. Granted, there wouldn't be any fantastic particle effects of the guy going under but he'd still pretend to dig. After going under he'd pop up once in a while and do little to nothing for a bit then dig again. Its corny, so I doubt I'll use this.
PMEmail Poster
Blue Summer
Posted: May 12, 2005 09:11 pm
Quote Post

Firefox

QUOTE (Rifter @ May 12 2005, 08:51 PM)
Civ- I've essentially taught myself all I know, I've gone over a few basic tutorials (mostly the ones that ship with 3dsmax), what you've seen from me so far is pretty much a culmination of a bit over a year's worth of work.

Blue- Maybe if you remind me in a month or so, I'm currently working over at The Opera R2 and I'm sorely behind my work over there. I'd still love to help out though so just... remind me. Zombie combat is probably some of the more unique work I've done (thats why I jumped from the human animations over to the zombies mid-stream), and is maddeningly fun to toy around with.

Newish concept:

Tunneler:
You guessed it, this guy would tunnel under the ground. Granted, there wouldn't be any fantastic particle effects of the guy going under but he'd still pretend to dig. After going under he'd pop up once in a while and do little to nothing for a bit then dig again. Its corny, so I doubt I'll use this.

OT: Sure i'll remidn you thin wink.gif.

Tunneler, sounds good. Is this for a perticular mod?

--------------------
This is what Ive said for the past couple months every time has requested source: BB source is highly unlikely because the mod team (Ironoak) has decided to use the crystal engine to create an rpg, although they have said there is a small chance of going to source but please, for the sake of all mankind, do not request a port and/or create polls, or even useless threads about the porting of BB, because it is most likely not going to happen, thank you for reading.

WSAENOTSOCK
PMEmail Poster
**[STARS]**BrasileiroSk8r
Posted: May 13, 2005 12:41 am
Quote Post

Uberzernichter

I kno this is probably adding too much wrk for u but mayb u could redesign the animation for wen a zombie attacks u? Cause all they do is hit u wit their arms, mayb u could hav them do some sort of attack wit their mouth or they could grab and munch on u and u hav to break free. Idk, just a suggestion.

--------------------
Come Skank with Me!
User Posted Image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Rifter
Posted: May 13, 2005 04:37 am
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

QUOTE (Blue Summer @ May 12 2005, 09:11 PM)
Is this for a perticular mod?

If I remember correctly, this one wink.gif.
PMEmail Poster
Gneralas
Posted: May 13, 2005 07:41 am
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

The idea of releasing a pack like this is very smart or crazy, however you look at it, but i will back you 100%! smile.gif

--------------------
User Posted Image*
User Posted Image
*OMG!!1 A signature change!!!
PMEmail Poster
Lord Scottish
Posted: May 13, 2005 09:13 am
Quote Post

K.I.T.T.-Killer!
Group Icon

Group: IronOak Leaders

@Rifter: You are right, we used the HL AI system with tag in the qc file deciding which animations are used for which part of the AI. You can even activate new AI parts just by adding an animation and the additional tag. Check the SDK of hl for additional information concerning the qc file AI tags.
Running zombies for example wouldn't be any problem at all: just make a runanimation, make sure to add the qc stuff right and they will run if you add them to the server

Oh and it sounds like a great idea! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Lord Scottish on May 13, 2005 09:14 am

--------------------
User Posted Image

"Aber in wirklichkeit ist Kunst eine Insidersprache für kultivierte Snobs, um sich zu ihrer Überlegenheit über den Rest der Welt zu beglückwünschen" Calvin, 6

Scottishs website
PMEmail Poster
Radman
Posted: May 13, 2005 11:37 am
Quote Post

Real zombie Nemesis

NO!

Not the 'Twitchin' Bitch'

::Cries::

I was messed up enough thanks to silent hill!

hehehe great idea though, cant wait. happy.gif

--------------------
When theres no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth...

user posted image

'They say people dont believe in heroes anymore... Well im going to give them back their hero."
PMEmail Poster
Ğ @ b ® Ī ë Ł /
Posted: May 13, 2005 01:37 pm
Quote Post

Zombie Hunter

but then i thought. you can only make three now cuz there are only three slots avaible. but before at 1.1 there were 5 zombie slots. so why not take that back and then you could make more. (of course i understand that its a hard work but still. there would be cooler that way.

anyhow. keep up the great work , but chill sometimes

(and yes i wrote it up there too.)
PM
Skullky
Posted: May 13, 2005 02:13 pm
Quote Post

Zombie Hunter

Gabriel there are sub models and skins allowed in .mdls

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster